AN EPIC JOURNEY THROUGH CARIBBEAN
LAGOONS & WILDLIFE
Sian Kaan Adventure
SIAN KA’AN BIOSPHERE RESERVE – PUNTA ALLEN
In the mayan language, Sian Ka’an means “born from the sky” and to spend time in this nature reserve indeed feels like a gift from heaven.
With endless stretches of pristine wetlands that overlap with isolated bays & inlets, coral reef & mangrove forests, this protected area is a feast for the senses and one of the most important coastal nesting grounds in the Caribbean. Home to an enormous amount of biodiversity, Sian Ka'an is a UNESCO World Heritage site, occupying special status inside the 'Man and the Biosphere' project - a UNESCO initiative that seeks to integrate local activities into protected areas through sustainable practices. The local economy, based on fishing & tourism, has survived & prospered with the regulations of the reserve ensuring sustainable practices & the protection of the coast from over development.
This gives the visitor an exceptional opportunity to visit the reserve wetlands. The local fishermen we work with guide you through the lagoons and mangrove forests, traveling south on the water through a truly pristine landscape, where we visit Boca Paila, an open cenote and search for crocodiles, manatees and the great variety of birdlife that live or migrate to the area. The fact we avoid the road to travel by boat makes the visit extra special.
After this epic journey, the lagoon feeds out into Ascension Bay and the open ocean. You will notice changes in water color and endless skies stretching out over the Caribbean.
With luck, we will also spot the local dolphins swimming in the wild and some of the different sea turtle species that inhabit the bay. And if the waters are calm, we jump into the water to snorkel on a section of the barrier reef system, home to thousands of aquatic species. If that weren't enough, a beautiful sandbank the locals call "nature's swimming pool" is where we take time to relax & swim in the clearest of water before to end te boat tour. The town of Punta Allen is located at the tip of the headland overlooking the bay, where we are treated to a local lunch and time to relax after an action packed day.
"A pristine environment full of wild aquatic animals, interspersed with breathtaking landscapes and unparalleled views of the Caribbean"
Transportation in Air-Conditioned
Van with cooler (fruit, water, snacks)
Entrance fees to the reserve
Boat with snorkel equipment
(mask, snorkel and fins)
Lunch and non-alcoholic drinks
Boat tour of Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve
Every Monday, Wednesday & Saturday
Or on demand)
170 USD *
- 7:00 am – 8:00 am pick up
- Once we enter the reserve, we drive 40 minutes aprox. among coastal jungle until we reach the boat dock
- Laguna boat tour: explore mangrove forests, freshwater springs & the famous Boca Paila where the wetlands meet the sea
- Lookout for manatees and crocodiles
- Visit cays with colonies of incredible birds
- Search for dolphins, sea turtles and more
- Snorkel in the world´s second largest coral reef
- Enjoy bathing in the clearest tropical water at ¨Nature's swimming pool¨
- Delicious caribbean lunch in Punta Allen pueblo
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. return
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Those interested in wildlife observation & photography, exploring the caribbean coast by boat, learning about truly unique ecosystems
- Not for pregnant women
- Comfortable clothes and shoes (sandals ok)
- Bathing suit
- Sun glasses
- Sun block (bio degradable, also consider clothes to aid with sun protection)
- Some cash
Please note that there are no ATM machines in the area, nor do any of the vendors accept credit cards.
The guides appreciate tips for great service, and you are sure to leave with many great memories!