Sian Ka'an Adventure
Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve – Punta Allen
In the Yucatec Mayan language, Sian Ka’an means “born from the sky”. Sian Ka’an is one of the largest protected areas in Mexico with 6520 km2 (1,6 million acres) and with an enormous amount biodiversity. The UNESCO program "Man and the Biosphere" has three aims: conservation, research and promoting sustainable development. Therefore, people can live with these protected areas and be part of the economic activities such as fishing and tourism as long as it's done in a sustainable manner. With a population of 800 people, the town of Punta Allen is located at the end of a 56 km sand dune covered with dune coastal vegetation, the Caribbean Sea on one side and Ascension Bay on the other side. Lobster fishing is the main source of income in Punta Allen but tourism is becoming important for the local economy because Punta Allen is an excellent opportunity to experience caribbean culture and is also a great departure point to marine ecosystems where it is possible to find reptiles such as iguanas, lizards, crocodiles and sea turtles ; birds like fregates, pelicans, boobies, cormorants, herons, egrets, ospreys and many more. Dolphins are a common sight and with luck is also possible to spot a manatee. Snorkeling in the Mesoamerican reef (second largest in the world) is an obligated activity to enjoy sights of its incredible diversity. When it is time to relax, we visit a beautiful sandbank that the locals refer to as "the world's largest swimming pool".
- 7:30-9am: pick up at your hotel
- Drive among coastal jungle 30 minutes until reaching our boat to continue our journey by water.
- We explore the Boca Paila Lagoon and the point where it connects with the Caribbean Sea (explanation of the ecology and history of the area, see the water springs and possibly manatees, enjoy some sand bank/beach time and snorkel in the reef.
- Explore Ascension Bay (visit some colonies of nesting birds such as frigates, spoonbills, egrets, herons and more, learn about the importance of mangroves, look for sea turtles, sea stars, dolphins and more)
- Arrive at our base in Punta Allen to enjoy a delicious Caribbean lunch and enjoy free time to walk or relax Caribbean style.
- 5:30-6pm: drop off at your hotel
Sian Ka’an Adventure is a tour made for the visitor interested in exploring the Caribbean coast (culture, flora and fauna) while having fun and learning about these truly unique ecosystems.
Not for pregnant women.
Included in Tour:
- Transportation in Air-Conditioned Van with cooler (fruit, water, snacks)
- Entrance fees to the reserve
- Professional guidance
- Boat with snorkel equipment (mask, snorkel and fins)
- Lunch and non-alcoholic drinks
Special tour recommendation:
A hat with strap against wind
Choose a pickup location for this activity
Regular tours, with transportation
Private tours, with transportation
Désolé, cette activité n'est pas disponible pour cette date!
Lo siento, pero este actividad no esta disponible en este fecha!